COURSE NOW OPEN!
Covid-19 Policies & Procedures Relating to Play
We trust you have been staying well and that you are eagerly anticipating the opportunity to get back on the golf course. We have been working behind the scenes to make changes to our operation that will allow for the safety and security of all golfers and our PGC staff. Your health and safety is our top priority and we will need your cooperation when it comes to new policies and procedures.
Please see the updated policies and procedures below related to operations under the current public health mandate.
Social distancing of 2m/6ft is required AT ALL TIMES while on the property. This includes the parking lot, pro shop, golf cart staging area and all areas of the golf course – especially tee boxes and greens.
Ensure that you do not have COVID-19 related symptoms, haven’t left the province within the last 14 days, and haven’t come in contact with anyone that may have COVID-19. If any of these situations apply to you, STAY HOME.
Provincial guidelines, legislation and fines apply while on the property, and must be strictly adhered to. Anyone failing to comply with social distancing, or any of the policies listed below may be removed from the facility and further banned until all such policies have been lifted.
BEFORE ARRIVING AT THE GOLF COURSE
- Due to limited tee times, ALL PLAYERS MUST HAVE A TEE TIME PRIOR TO ARRIVING AT THE GOLF COURSE AND ALL GOLFERS IN THE GROUP MUST BE LISTED ALONG WITH THEIR PHONE NUMBERS
- Portage Golf Club members may book up to 7 days in advance. Non-members may book up to 5 days in advance.
- Tee time bookings can be done online at portagegolfclub.ca
- Take advantage of online and/or call-in payments for your golf.
- Plan to arrive at the course NO MORE THAN 20 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR ROUND. This will help to drastically reduce the amount of traffic around the clubhouse & pro shop
UPON ARRIVAL AT THE GOLF COURSE
- Signage will greet you as you walk towards the pro shop with instructions as to how to check-in and proceed with your round.
- GOLFERS MUST ENTER THE PRO SHOP THROUGH THE NORTH DOOR AND EXIT THROUGH THE WEST DOOR. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Only 2 golfers at a time will be permitted in the pro shop, one at the counter, one waiting just inside the door. Please follow distancing markers at all times both inside and outside the pro shop
- All golfers must use the hand sanitizer station upon entering the Pro Shop.
- Payments may be made online or by debit, credit or member account only. NO CASH PAYMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
CHANGES TO YOUR GOLFING EXPERIENCE
- Social distancing of 2m/6ft must be maintained at ALL TIMES. This includes keeping your distance with all members of your group as well as course staff.
- Please wait in the designated “On Deck” area until the group in front of you has left the tee box.
- Tee times will be in 10 minute intervals.
- All groups will be called to the tee at their scheduled time. You will not be permitted to tee off early and if you are late for your tee time you will have to wait in the parking lot until the next available time slot.
- No groups will be “squeezed in” and no one will be permitted to start their round off of the 10th tee
- There will be no congregating of golfers permitted in any area of the course at any time.
- All power carts will be limited to 1 rider unless you reside in the same house together
- All rental power carts will be pressure washed after each round and will also be sanitized before & after each round.
- All high-touch areas on the course have been removed including ball washers and bunker rakes. On course benches have been removed or will be taped off and cannot be used during the round.
- Handshakes, high fives and any other touching gestures are not permitted before, during and after your round.
- Only touch your own personal items – this includes golf balls, clubs and golf bags.
- Club rentals will not be available. Sharing of clubs between players is also not permitted.
- Flag poles are to remain in the hole AT ALL TIMES. Measures are in place for the cups to ensure you do not have to reach into the hole or touch the flag pole.
- When in a bunker, we ask that you please smooth the sand with your foot following play. If you land in someone else’s footprints or a disturbed area you may take relief in another area of the bunker without penalty.
- ALL RENTAL POWER CARTS MUST BE OFF THE COURSE 1/2 HOUR BEFORE TIME OF SUNSET IN ORDER TO ALLOW FOR ADDITIONAL CLEANING AND SANITIZING PROCEDURES.
AFTER YOUR ROUND OF GOLF
- Maintain proper social distancing of 2m/6ft while unloading in the parking lot.
- Maintain proper social distancing when entering and exiting the cart storage barns.
- Return your rental carts to the appropriate area (follow the signage) so it can be properly cleaned and sanitized.
- All refuse is to be put in designated bins as you exit the course or take it home with you. Do not leave garbage in the cart for the staff to clean up.
- No congregating in the parking lot allowed. Please exit the facility upon returning your cart.
FACILITY & OPERATIONAL CHANGES
- The clubhouse / the Lake Shore Restaurant & Bar will remain closed to start the season.
- Washrooms in the basement of the clubhouse will be open for use from 9 am to 7 pm daily beginning May, 4. Swinging doors into each locker room have been removed to reduce touch points.
- There will be a port-a-pottie at the Shack with hand wash and sanitizer.
- Bathrooms & port-a-pottie will be cleaned regularly throughout the day
- Only 2 people at a time will be allowed in the pro shop. We recommend that only 1 member of your foursome plan to come in to check in your group.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available at the pro shop. Individual hand sanitizer bottles will also be available for purchase in the pro shop while supplies last. It is recommended that you bring hand sanitizer with you if you have it.
- Tee times will be at 10 minutes intervals to ensure proper spacing on the golf course and reduce the amount of traffic on the property.
- The putting green will be closed to start the season.
- Cash will NO LONGER be accepted for payment. Only debit and credit cards can be used. Please consider paying online and/or paying over the phone prior to arriving at the course.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL POLICIES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON ADDITIONAL CLARIFICATIONS OR MANDATES HANDED DOWN BY THE PROVINCE.
POLICIES ON BEVERAGE CART SERVICE, MERCHANDISE SALES, LEAGUES & TOURNAMENTS TO FOLLOW IN COMING DAYS
WE WILL REQUIRE THE COOPERATION OF ALL GOLFERS TO ENSURE THAT ALL NEW RULES, POLICIES & PROCEDURES ARE ADHERED TO AT ALL TIMES TO ENSURE SAFETY FOR EVERYONE.
The golf course was built on a site that was a combination pasture and rubbish dump. The land was littered with scrap iron and was bisected by two narrow sloughs containing 5-6 foot cattails. There were few trees on the course and the club founders planted hundreds of trees on the course to divide the fairways. The first official opening day was May 31st 1922. Fees for the first year were $20.00 for men and $10.00 for ladies The Club joined the Manitoba Golf Association in 1924 and began to sell shares in 1925 at a par value of $50.00. The Club acquired its first club house in March of 1927 when a boathouse which was situated on the south side of the Island Park bridge was purchased.